The American Quilt Society offers helpful information about becoming an appraiser, as well as classes and a targeted certification program. The National Quilting Association and the National Association of Certified Quilt Judges offer programs to become a certified quilt judge.
Books and DVDs
Extensive training on repairing and restoring quilts is available in the Quilt Restoration Workshop DVD set.
The technical guides published by the American Quilt Study Group include some information on restoration. Overview articles, a discussion group, and other resources for quilt repair can be found on the Quilt History website
These reference books cover antique sewing machines and items:
- The Encyclopedia of Early American & Antique Sewing Machines: Identification & Values
- Toy and Miniature Sewing Machines: Identification & Value Guide
- Sewing Tools And Trinkets: Collector's Identification & Value Guide
- Popular books about starting an antiques business
- For a repair business, this information package promises to include ideas for getting started as well as how-to guides about repairing multiple sewing machine brands: How to Repair Your Sewing Machine
- Several books cover techniques for sharpening scissors and other tools.
The National Storytelling Network has a good article on How to Become a Storyteller. For a storytelling business guide, consider The Storyteller's Start-Up Book. This book will give you insights into living history presentations: Telling History: A Manual for Performers and Presenters of First-Person Narratives.
Learn more about inventing and licensing products from:
- Books about inventing and selling products as well as Books about product licensing.
- CraftSanity podcast about Rosa Rojas, a designer and seller of appliqué tools.
- Shapeways offers a 3-D printing service and marketplace for the products you create.
- Companies that produce custom rulers and templates for quilting include Rulersmith and Brandy's.
- To find a manufacturer for your product idea, check out the Etsy manufacturing partner finder service.
Shop for all of the latest photo equipment in Amazon’s Camera and Photography store.